USA: What Will Marriage Equality Opponents Try Next?

Written by scott on July 3rd, 2013

Catholic ChurchNow that the US Supreme Court has stricken down DOMA and Prop 8, what will marriage equality opponents try next? Ian Millhiser has some ideas:

Religious conservatives, however, still have one more card to play in their efforts to deny equal rights to LGBT Americans. As the socially conservative writer Ross Douthat suggested shortly after the Court struck DOMA, the best way to continue to limit the rights of gay people is to “build in as many protections for religious liberty as possible along the way.” It’s clear that anti-gay leaders are already executing this contingency plan. Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint claimed on Tuesday that marriage equality “means trampling First Amendment religious liberty protections along the way.” At least fifteen anti-gay individuals, ranging from wedding cake bakers to bed and breakfast owners to t-shirt makers, have claimed the right to discriminate against gay people — often in direct violation of the law — with many citing their religious beliefs as justification. The conservative U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops claimed in a brief they filed in the Supreme Court that treating anti-gay discrimination permissively “protects the religious liberty of those employers with a religious objection to providing” health coverage to same-sex partners.

Part of me thinks “hey, I don’t want to work with a wedding vendor who doesn’t want my business because I’m gay.” Then I wonder if it would be ok with me if I substituted the words “because I’m gay” with “because I’m black”.

8 Comments so far ↓

1. Trapper says:

How is it ok to discriminate using their “religious beliefs” as justification? By their act, they are violating the religious rights of the couple in question. How is that ok? And if the couple was biracial and they had a “religious” problem with it? Is THAT ok? The reality is that none of it is ok. If they’re going to operate a public business, then they have to do business with everyone…or get into a different line of work. Period.

2. TrueAtheist says:

@Trapper

It’s not ok.

3. Michael Hansen says:

And they wonder why they are labeled bigots, that is because they are bigots. These religious idiots think they have a right to discriminate. They have gotten away with it for so long, and now they are upset for being called out on it. Bigot and religious people are a perfect match.

4. Zoe Brain says:

I see it as a matter of religious freedom: are we to continue to disallow some religious groups (Quakers for example) from conducting SSM just because other religious groups don’t like it?

5. Bruce Wesley Boyce says:

RELIGIOUS BIGOTS ARE LIVID OVER THE FACT THE TABLES AND TIDE HAS TURNED…
    NOW THEY CAN LIVE WITH FRUSTRATIONS WE
    HAD TO DEAL WITH OVER THE YEARS. AND WE’RE TO SMART TO PUT UP WITH THIS AGE OLD DISCRIMINATION ANYMORE. IN SHORT : STUFF YOUR BULL SHIT HATE UP YOUR NOSE. LET US BE YOUR NIGHT MARE, WHILE WE LIVE, LOVE AND FINALLY ENJOY OUR LIFE. MAY YOUR ANGST LAST FOREVER!
    BEING SELF RIGHTEOUS HAS HAD ITS DAY.

6. Psyche says:

Oh please! Religious beliefs do not give people the right to discriminate. If you did that to an interracial couple now, they’d sue your ass and your business would be shut down. People are allowed to believe what they want to believe, but believing and acting on something are two different things. You do NOT force your religious beliefs onto others, nor do you hurt others because they don’t fit into your “perfect little religious world where everyone believes the same thing you do and the world operates on those beliefs,” especially if you’re in business.

People need to seriously get over this issue. It’s like saying I can’t have chocolate cake because they’re on a diet.

7. Lucinda says:

And while I obviously wouldn’t want an anti-gay person involved with my wedding, what if they were the only game in town? I think substituting “black” for “gay” should be something that those business people think about…what would be the response if they refused service then?

8. People have a right to hold whatever religious beliefs they want. But society has the right to withhold their business permits if those beliefs discriminate against a certain segment of the population.

Don’t want to sell flowers to gay people? Jolly. But don’t expect to do business in a society that is trying to become more civil.